Friday, May 04, 2007

Bad News

I found out just a little while ago that my paternal grandfather passed away around 11:00 Eastern time this morning. He was about 94 years old and in declining health for quite a while. He'd actually been doing really well lately, but took a turn for the worse earlier this week. I found out first thing this morning that it didn't look like he'd make it through the weekend, but then found out around 2:00 Central time this afternoon that he'd passed away earlier in the morning.

I'm now trying to find a way to get up there for the funeral. He and the rest of my dad's family all live in southern Pennsylvania (Littlestown/Hanover area, close to Gettysburg), so it's a long trip for us (10-12 hour drive). My dad has offered to let me ride up with him and my step-mother, but he thinks I should leave Christopher with someone here since a trip like that with him would be difficult for everyone. I don't have too many options, though. My mom's offered to let him stay down at her house, but I'm not comfortable leaving him around their smoking. Shad can't take off work the estimated 4 days I'd be gone and DFIL works, too.

I'm also looking at flying up there. Mindy, who lives in Erie, has offered for us to fly in anywhere near her and she could pick us up and let us stay with her. It's still about a 5-6 hour drive from Erie to Littlestown/Hanover, though. Plus, I don't know if Christopher's carseat will fit in Mindy's little Honda Civic. That's the last thing I need is to get up there and find that the carseat won't fit!

If we fly, not only will I have to bring his carseat, but I'll also have to carry a PNP since he'll need a place to sleep, PLUS all of our luggage! Uff da!!! Too much to think about!!!

So, off to make some phone calls to airline companies to get prices. Hopefully, someone will offer a really good deal! Otherwise, I probably can't go. :(

I'll update more later.

No comments: