Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Is Christmas REALLY Just Around the Corner?????

So, I was at Wal-Mart today pricing toys for Christopher's upcoming birthday and Christmas and guess what music I heard playing on the loud speaker throughout the store??? CHRISTMAS MUSIC!!! IT'S NOVEMBER 5?!?!?!

I have mixed feelings about this:

On the one hand, we haven't even gotten to Thanksgiving yet! Now, I know you'll probably say that it was perfect since I WAS shopping for Christmas, but while I LOVE LOVE LOVE Christmas music, if I start hearing it NOW, I'll be sick of it by Thanksgiving! =( I'd rather wait until Thanksgiving Day or the day after to start hearing it. Why am I surprised year after year that stores start their "Christmas season" earlier and earlier? Before we know it, we'll start seeing stuff out in July! Sorry Wal-Mart, but hearing Jingle Bells and Frosty the Snowman isn't going to encourage me to buy anymore than my Christmas budget allows.

On the other hand, it's got me REALLY excited about Christmas this year. It did help aid me in getting into the "Christmas Spirit" even if only for a few moments (Christopher's incessent whining about wanting to play with all the toys nullified much of it). It's made me want to pull out my Christmas cd's, but I keep having to fight that urge (see above paragraph for explanation). I'm really looking forward to this Christmas with Christopher. He's at that age where he's just getting into the excitement. Even though he's still learning all about Baby Jesus, Santa, Christmas trees and outside decorations, gifts, spending time with family and friends, etc., he actually has some slight concept for the first time ever. I'm really looking forward to seeing his reaction to everything once we start decorating and wrapping gifts. Of course, I'm most excited about seeing his reaction on Christmas Day! Oh, to be 3-years old again!!!

No comments: