Sunday, September 11, 2011

In Remembrance

Today is the 10th anniversary of 9/11. At that time, Little Man wasn't even a glimmer in our eyes yet. Hubby and I had only been married for 9 months. On one hand, it seems like a lifetime ago. On the other, I can't believe it's been 10 years ago! I can remember exactly what I was doing when I first heard the news; it seems like it *just* happened yesterday! Even the emotions are still as fresh! 


I was driving to work when I heard about the first plane on the radio. I thought, "Oh no! What a horrible accident!" At that time, the radio announcers believed it was a small airplane. I was pulling into the parking lot when they announced that the second plane had hit. My thoughts then changed to, "That was NO accident!" I ran inside to our conference room and turned on the tv, which the 4 of us in the office stayed glued to the entire day. Absolutely no work got done. I remember vividly seeing the people jumping out of the burning buildings and thinking, "Surely there's a net down there for them!" At some point I realized that there was, in fact, NO net saving those people. I was devastated. :( 


In the days following, I remember the sky being SO empty due to the grounding of all aircraft. It was a very odd thing since I'm used to seeing airplanes...both large and small...flying over this town quite frequently. 


Hubby and I made a trip to Ground Zero in July 2003. At that point, it looked like a large construction site. It is my wish to take a family trip to see the new memorials. 


Today, September 11, 2011, I am preparing to go on my first trip to Europe. I will be leaving on Wednesday, September 14 for Belgium. I'll be there for 7 days and then will go to Paris for 1 day and London for 1 day. I'll be returning home on Sunday, September 25. It's a trip that I'm very much looking forward to! Our family has come quite a ways in the last 10 years. From newlyweds struggling to being married almost 11 years with one child. I'm curious to find out what's in store for us in the next 10 years. As for the victims of 9/11 and their families... I will NEVER forget and will ALWAYS be grateful for them!

No comments: