Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Potty Training???

I guess I can say that we've sorta started potty training! :-/ We have both a seat that sits atop our regular toilet and a training potty for Christopher to use. However, I'm encouraging the regular toilet more often so as to not have to deal with a transition (not to mention the fact that I see more "accidents" happening on his training potty since he's a boy and the angle has to be just right). I started setting Christopher on the big potty about a month or two ago, but only tried a few times. I never really did much other than set him on it. Over the last week, I've sat him on it at least once a day. He seems very curious, but hasn't actually done anything. He can say "potty," "pee pee" and "wee wee." He's constantly following Shad and me to the bathroom when we go and says, "Potty!" He even followed a little girl to the bathroom at church on Sunday night while saying, "Potty!", which had the teacher quite impressed. I'm still not pushing anything by any means since he's not even 2 yet. I just ask him, "Do you need to go potty?" I then take him to the bathroom, set him on the toilet, give him a minute or two until he says, "All done!" and then take him off. At this point, he mainly likes to play with the little "boy guard" and himself. LOL! I don't expect anything to happen anytime soon. That being said, I'm sure a lot of it is timing on my part. If I just so happen to time it right and he does actually go, I'm going to be giving LOTS of praises!

Another sign that makes me think Christopher's close to being ready to be potty trained is that he can tell me when he's dirty. As soon as he'd pooped in his diaper this morning before school (just as we were walking out the door, of course), he held his rear end and ran right to his bedroom. There was no mistaking what THAT meant! I'm sure him telling me BEFORE he has to go will take a good while longer, so I'm not even thinking that far ahead yet. I'll just slowly work on getting him to pee in the potty for now.

No comments: